[Ti] Antivirus

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Thu Jan 12 11:55:28 PST 2006

Glenn L. Austin said:

>Already exists.
I know there are a few shareware products, but do they actually carry any
weight? Where are the support of the major players? And what good can
they do that Apple or a certified partner couldn't do better? Much better.
My point is that a software provider claiming to counteract spyware and
trojans, must be well regarded as a trustworthy and with no hidden
agenda. So this implies a well known, a little bigger company.

What OS  X applications that *reliably* does this, are there?
Check out this versiontracker review of MacScan for example. Excerpt:
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17436>
".....On the other hand, it does not effectively perform spyware or
malware detection which is listed as its primary function"

Or this on Internet Cleanup:
"....First there were the inexplicable crashes, especially when the
system went to sleep and problems sending email attachments. All the
problems went away when I uninstalled the program. (Strangely you need
the registration code to uninstall the program too)"
<http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?
story=20050722075945705>

>Windows has so many trojans and spyware because of the fact that
>there are so many ways to "tap into" other programs on Windows.
That doesn't mean it couldn't happen in OS X. Also mac users are
gullible. That's how trojans end up in the OS. Almost anything can be
installed with the help of a user with the admin password.