[Ti] Windows compatable

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri Jan 13 17:28:53 PST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:34 PM, Alex wrote:

> If it could be done in 2003 by gateway! of all companies! I am sure
> it will not take very long for
> an ICBM (Intel Chip Base Mac) :-) (thanks for that rosyna from
> unsanity.org) to get a hacked Winodze running on it.

EFI was designed for IA-64.  IA-32 systems that boot with EFI use a
hardware CSM (Compatibility Support Module) for legacy BIOS support
so 32-bit Windows will boot.  The question was; will the new Intel
Macs boot Windows or other x86 unices.  The answer is "no".  The Mac
does not have a CSM on its motherboard.

Windows or other x-86 unices will not boot on it until Microsoft
provides support in 32-bit Windows to do so, and the same applies to
linux, FreeBSD or SCO Unix.

Besides, if you need to run Windows, you can buy a comparable PC for
a fraction of the price of an Intel Mac.  Windows will do everything
Mac OS X will do, so just run the one operating system on a (cheaper)
PC.  Then you don't have to reboot every time you need to switch
application environments.
--
Chris

PGP Key:  http://astcomm.net/~chris/PGP_Public_Key/