Windows is good advice for the consultants who support it (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Fri Jan 13 22:16:47 PST 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Chris Olson wrote:
> The fact is, you can call it Windoze, M$, or what ever other little
> grammatical slurs you want to throw at it, and it doesn't change
> the fact that the business world runs on Microsoft software, and
> millions upon millions of people use it every day to get the job
> done.  Usually without any of the horrible consequences that
> platform evangelists like to portray.  The Mac is merely an
> alternative operating environment that works well for maybe 3-5% of
> the computing population.  The day I can go to my local OfficeMax
> and see as many software titles on the shelf for Mac as I do
> Windows is the day the Mac will be a VIABLE alternative for the
> general computing population.

THIS business runs on Mac.  Most people don't know or care whether
the computer they are using is running Windows, Mac OS, Linux, or
MyFavoriteOS. They just need to get their work done.  Yes, there are
5 programs on Windows for 1 on the Mac, but generally the 1 on the
Mac is either the market leader on Windows, or is so much better than
what is on Windows that it isn't even funny (don't even get me
started about how Windows developers tend to use their customers to
"find all of the bugs" their "release" software).

If people absolutely need to use Windows, it is because they are
using some specialized, vertical-market application.  Everything else
has options on the Mac as well as Windows.  In fact, Microsoft even
says their Mac version of Office is better than their Windows version.

If I wanted to make as much money from supporting my customers as
possible, I'd recommend Windows to them (and charge for support).  If
I wanted something that let them get their work done, I'd recommend
either Mac or Linux -- and most likely Macs because they can GET
support for the hardware.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver