[Ti] Disk Utility NOT repairing disk?

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Sat Jan 14 14:17:04 PST 2006

14 jan 2006 kl. 12.53 skrev Robin Jackson:
> On both my Powerbook and my daughters 12in Powerbook it doe snot
> matter how
> many times I run Disk Repair it ALWAYS finds problems.
----------
I'm not sure weather you actually mean Disk Repair or Repair
Permissions.

In either case though I would suggest that you start the PB from the
1:st install disk (insert the CD or DVD and restart the PB while
holding down the C key on the keyboard.

Dont bother about the install dialog box that may appear but look för
Disk Utility in the menues. There you should choose to check your
normal start up disc and if it says it requires repair you may try
and let Disc Utility do so (but first after you've done a backup of
your disc!)

I have had several people getting the message that the disc need
repair and then it says there is a fault at some later level and that
seem not possible to fix without a reformat. (Possible Disk Warrior
or TechTool could handle it) It seem to be caused by something in the
10.4 update because if
1) I make the Disk Utility repair from a 10.2 start disk
2) restart and Repair Permissions on the normal disk
3) make the Disk Utility repair from the 10.4 start disk it manages
the whole repair correctly.

So the people allway doing even their Disc Repair before every
version update may have got a point.

I still didn't quite like the situation and since I had not made a
full format of my system since I first installed OS X  I Carbon
Copied my disk, formated and run repair checks before I made a fresh
install and then only copied back my user account. I now install my
programs from the original CD:s as I need them and update the
applications on the net when applicable.

> Yes I am pressing repair not detect.
Sorry I dont understand what you mean by that. Perhaps I have
missunderstood your problem and somebody else can catch up.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 050215
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)