Windows is good advice for the consultants who support it (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sun Jan 15 08:57:42 PST 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 12:50 AM, Thomas Fulton wrote:

> Vectorworks and Multiframe are stand out  apps in this regard.
> Even with the potential issues concerning translation of dwgs they
> still make for a more efficient, stable and productive environment
> to work in.

We use Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt and Xenon, which also provides a
productive design environment.  I never said these applications
aren't viable.  I said the defacto standard doesn't exist for the
Mac, regardless of whether or not it's a dinosaur.

Here's what happens:
Say you have a shop that has 250 seats running AutoDesk products.
This design shop is going to have a much more significant investment
in software than they do hardware/operating environment.  This shop
is never going to transition to Mac OS because it adds another layer
of complexity to their internal support department, having to support
yet another application suite (Vectorworks, Ashlar-Vellum, or what
have you).  The financial realities of supporting multiple
application suites internally, and dealing with yet another vendor
with per-seat licensing issues etc., kills it.

Add to that the many choices in things like FEA software in the
Windows environment, which simply doesn't exist on the Mac, and the
Mac looses out in an area where it should excel - design and data
analysis.  So even if you use Mac CAD software, but need to do linear
static & dynamic stress analysis, eigen, steady/unsteady heat
transfer, incompressible fluid flow, etc., analysis, you're going to
be still using Windows, Linux, Solaris, or IRIX.  There used to be
some good FEA software for Mac OS Classic, but we lost it during the
"last big transition" from OS 9 -> OS X.

We can't afford too many more of these "big transitions", aka PowerPC
-> Intel, because the Mac just keeps getting more expensive to
support with every one.
--
Chris