[Ti] OT Classic install & CCC Was: More MacBook Pro Questions

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Mon Jan 16 16:40:49 PST 2006

>> From: Lisbeth Zachs <zachs at swedenmail.com>
>> But you should be able to
>> install the Classic version within OS 10 even if they made that silly
>> mistake of not checking the OS 9 option box. Or so I thought. Anybody
>> certain about it one way or other?
---------
Apples description here:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301719> Shouldn't do
any harm to try.

16 jan 2006 kl. 21.10 skrev Timothy D. Naegele:
> Yes, this is my fifth PowerBook, and everything is backed up.

> Apple told me that DriveSavers was terrific so I thought they might
> be able
> to save everything but  they were a colossal waste of money.
----------
And you were charged though they failed? My experience from people
using a Norwegian recovering company is that they only charge for
success.

>>  Carbon Copy Clone of your disc to an external HD
---------
If CCC or other back-up programs is over you head I don't understand
what you mean by "everything is backed up" above.

Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and download CCC
CarbonCopyCloner.  Make certain you have a formated, preferably
Firewire, HD available and connected. Start the CCC and do as you're
told. Choose the external HD as Target and your internal as Source
and Go!  When done you should be able to choose the external OS X-
version as Startup disk in your System preferences and restart. If
the external then behave just as your internal you have a perfect
clone and backup of your disc.

You can then safely with Disk Utility format your Internal drive and
mark the disk to be OS 9 capable. After that comes possibly the
tricky part. If you simply CCCs the drive content back again and then
install Classic support there should be no problem. If you however
want to install OS 9.2.2 first you should still be able to CCC the
content from the external disc but you have to read the CCC
information if you afterwards have difficulties logging in to your OS
X on your internal disc. CCC prefer to be copied between cleaned disc
and obviously your internal will not be clean if you have installed
OS 9 on it.

See Q17 and its answer in the help section of CCC if this problem
occurs.

> Let me give you a perfect example.  I have "109 Years of National
> Geographic Magazine on CD-ROM," which consists of lots of CDs.  To the
> best of my knowledge, they are not offering the package anymore.
>
> When I inserted one of the disks just now and tried to launch the
> installer, the following message appeared: "Classic cannot find a Mac
> OS 9 system folder on the startup disk to use."  A button also
> appeared, which says, "Open Classic Preferences," and I cannot do that
> because Classic is not installed.
Try Apples own suggestion in the first link I gave you above and see
if it works before you do all the formatting and Copy Cloning above

Lisbeth i Göteborg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum/> updat 050215
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)