Personal experience (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Loren luteslinger at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:13:46 PST 2006

On 1/17/06, Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir at mac.com> wrote:

> On 17-Jan-06, at 2:35 PM, Chris Olson wrote:
>
> On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:
>

> That said, does anyone know of any experiments done in a proper scientific
> way (with double blind studies, etc., etc.) to find out which is the more
> reliable OS - Mac OS or Windows?
>
> No studies, but literally millions of deployments speaks for itself.
>
> Does it really? Or is it marketing that is the cause of these "many more
> millions of deployments"?
>
> Speaking as a certified scientist and an amateur logician, I *personally*
> would not accept "many more millions of deployments" as proof of anything
> ... except, of course, of many more millions of deployments. But then again,
> maybe that's just me.
>

> Windows is the hands down winner.  Windows application developers have been
> able to deploy solutions and move from revision to revision pretty much
> seamlessly over the years, with only minor glitches aka Windows XP SP2.
>
> I was speaking of *reliability*: not of moving over "from revision to
> revision". OIOW, I was wondering how many times the average Windows user has
> to stop the work he is doing to solve computer problems, as compared with
> the average Mac user.
>

> Apple, OTOH has jumped ship too many times.  The transition from Apple to
> Mac made all Apple software obsolete.  Then we went from 68K to PPC, then OS
> 9 to OS X, then PPC to Intel, each time adding complexity, development cost,
> and alienating legacy users and developers.
>
> I dunno about that. I can still use all the OS 7.2 software I bought for my
> Performa back in 1997!
>

> Reliability in Enterprise and business has way factors than just technical
> excellence.
>
> No doubt. But I was just wondering in my post which platform is the more
> reliable, not which is the technically more excellent. (I *know* that the
> Mac OS is technically more excellent than Windows!)
>

> Cheers.

Chris nails it. Actually he glues it with Gorilla glue first, then
bolts it down, rivets it, arc welds it, covers it with titanium slabs
left over from 2003, then tops it with concrete and then builds a
pyramid over it, then fences it off with electric barbed wire and a
mote full of quicksand, surrounds it with vehicle barriers and no
parking signs, then mans the secret concealed door with a large
contingent of bureaucrats and project managers, finally sealing it by
eating the root password, which Apple doesn't even trust its users
with. Go figure.