Personal experience (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Jan 17 18:02:54 PST 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Ardeshir Mehta wrote:

> I was speaking of *reliability*: not of moving over "from revision
> to revision"

Reliability includes moving from revision to revision.  Nothing is
static in the computer world, and most times today's technology, both
hardware and software, is considered obsolete in 3 short years.

Reliability includes these transitions, and when a transition breaks
legacy application support, the operating environment gets more
expensive to support, and less reliable because it's broken.  Having
software applications break because of a point revision in Mac OS X,
and core library (OS X Framework) updates, is not reliable.  It's
happened too many times where software written for 10.x doesn't run
on 10.x+1 and later because Apple decided to change some Framework on-
the-fly.

Apple crossed the river from 1990 to 2006 by inviting its users to
follow along, hopping from one stone to another, often changing
direction.  Microsoft built a bridge across the river and handed its
users a roadmap that shows how to get to the other side.

As far as reliability, Windows is every bit as reliable as OS X.
Windows Server 2003 has demonstrated uptimes over 1 year (reference
Netcraft) without reboot, while OS X Server never has.  Technically,
is the Mach kernel capable?  Sure, but due to flaws in design it
doesn't happen.  So Windows is more reliable on servers, with less
downtime.  On desktops it takes no more time to fix some little
Windows problem than it does to reboot a Mac in the middle of some
important project just because you updated something ridiculously
simple like Quicktime with Software Update.  It's a wash.

 From a technical standpoint, in my opinion the Windows kernel is
superior and more stable than Mach.  The Windows kernel demonstrates
better and faster threading capability, better VM management, a
superior TCP stack and has a better device driver module implementation.

I my opinion Mac OS has a better overall graphical interface design,
better integration of application suite components, and a superior
user experience.  I like OS X just as much as you do, except I
realize OS X is far from flawless.  It's merely an alternative - a
choice you make to be different.  Whether or not that choice is
"better" or more "reliable" depends on the individual.  But for
business and enterprise deployment reliability Windows is still the
hands down winner, and will continue to be probably well into the end
of the decade.
--
Chris