Windows is good advice for the consultants who support it (was: Re: Good advice! (was: Re: [Ti] Windows compatable))

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Wed Jan 18 08:41:07 PST 2006

I've been talking about personal purchases, primarily.

Most IT departments are a lost cause.  Having been around them most
of my career, they are about Job Security(tm), first and foremost.
If another platform came along that had all of the software they
needed but required more people to support, and they could justify it
financially (ie. the hardware is SO much cheaper), they'd switch in a
heartbeat.

I have yet to meet a traditional IT manager who wouldn't want more
people in their department.  Right now most are soldiering on with
fewer people than they need simply because Accounting managers have
started to realize that IT is a black hole -- it sucks up all the
money that is surrounding it for very little service.

Oh and Chris, properly written software doesn't break from version to
version (except from 10.0 to 10.1, where 10.0 pretty much sucked).  I
have quite a bit more software that is "10.1 or later" -- and doesn't
break because of "library changes" (and there have been some) between
versions of the OS.  For example, Apple made available to developers
what libraries routines were defined in, but then told them to use
the Carbon or Cocoa umbrella framework, just in case they moved
things.  Some developers thought they were being clever and decided
to use the specific libraries instead.  When Apple moved some APIs
from one library to another, those who listened to Apple and wrote
using Carbon or Cocoa continued to work.  Those who were "being
clever" found their software broken and having angry customers.