[Ti] IT Departments (was: Re: Windows is good advice for the consultants who support it ...

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Thu Jan 19 04:30:48 PST 2006

Ardeshir Mehta said:

>Exactly. There should not be any *need* for an IT department, and all
>the costs associated with it.
But there is a need. There millions of computer users thar are not
computer experts and will help from time to time. The Mac platform have
often been shown, from Gartner group fro example, to have lower support
costs than Windows. I'm not sure how it stands with Linux and other
Unixen, but personally I need support from a good book at least, when I'm
on those.

>(Admittedly that's still not the case with Macs, but that ought to be
>the aim anyway.)
The fact that there are IT Departments to this day that still set up the
rules and decide what their computer users "need", is as good pointer as
any that computer illiterate company leaders and managers don't care what
platform they use or what the actual costs are, as long as the IT
department says it's OK to use.