[Ti] Re: Disk Utility NOT repairing disk???????

Robin Jackson robinjackson at mac.com
Tue Jan 24 14:07:34 PST 2006

>> It was a permissions issue.
> But what issues did you actually have? Can you be more vague, please? The
> quality of your posts will reflect the quality of responses I'm afraid.
> They were not then "we're using special permissions" then? So what were they?
>> Which I could NOT fix while booted from my main drive.

Can I be more vague?

I am sure I could be but it was certainly un-intentional.

>> DID seem to work okay when booted from the CD.
>
> That's not because permissions can't be fixed while booted from the main
> drive, but because the correct permissions from the CD/DVD *are
> different* from you main drive (unless you have the exact same
> incremental version on both). What part of that did you not understand?

It was NOT explained as clearly as you just did, therefore I did not
understand the issue.

> Are permissions OK now, if you run Disk Utility while booted from the
> main drive? Did yo have other problems related to this one?

No, permissions are not okay.  I get MULTIPLE errors which do not get
repaired even though I run it several times the errors are always the same,
disk utility SAYS it has repaired the problem but they are still then when I
rerun.

Here are some of the reported issues:-

We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js.  New permissions are
33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist.  New permissions are
33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Weather.wdgt/Default.png.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Weather.wdgt/Info.plist.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Weather.wdgt/Weather.js.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Weather.wdgt/parser.js.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/Weather.wdgt/version.plist.  New permissions are 33188
We are using special permissions for the file or directory
./Library/Widgets/World Clock.wdgt/Info.plist.  New permissions are 33188

Most of the problems seem to be in my Widgets folder but also my DVD
application is affected.

> And WHY do you keep a digest subject? Just because you subscribe to the
> digest don't give you reason to break the proper subject.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about?