[Ti] Old G3 Black Heavy

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Wed Jan 25 02:44:09 PST 2006

David Ferleger said:

>1. Will any brand of Mac OS X run on this G3? Since there is no CD
>drive, can it be installed via Ethernet?
You have a wallstreet most likely. Question is if it's a WS I or WS II
(also called PDQ). CPU speed 233Mhz w/o cache, 250Mhz and 299Mhz is WS I
and 233Mhz w cache, 266Mhz and 300Mhz is WS II.
Panther work better in my personal experience than Jaguar with XPostFacto
3. It may also work with XPostFacto 4 and Tiger, but I'm not sure as I
upgraded to titanium 1.5 years ago.
You'll find lots of info on wallstreets in the user forums of XPostFacto.

XPostFacto
<http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?
page=XPostFacto.html>

>2. Where can I get a powercord (those black box things with the cord
>coming from it). Ebay? Or anyone here offer/sell/give me one?
Ebay or try low end macs swap list.

>3. What good use can this be in today's world with 1 GB HD and 64 RAM?
Not that useful, though it may work as typewriter machine under OS 9. I
suggest you upgrade the HD to at least 4-6GB and RAM to 512MB (2 x 256)
if you want to run OS X.

>4. Can the RAM still be upgraded to more?
See above.

>5. Can this be used as external Something-or-other to my 17"?
Print server or download machine?