[Ti] verifying permission freezes

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Jan 28 09:21:09 PST 2006

Make sure you have up-to-date backups, and you have nothing to worry
about.  ;-)

You might want to just open Disk Utility, click on the drive (not the
volume) and make sure that SMART Status says "Verified" at the
bottom.  And also, make sure your drive doesn't make any loud,
repetitive clicking noises.  I'm going to assume that you know what
your hard drive normally sounds like; soft clicking, typically very
fast.  If it starts clicking at a rate of about twice per second,
very regularly, very loudly, especially if these hangs occur at the
same time, then you'd want to think about replacing the drive.  That
is a very common mode of failure.

Otherwise, I'd assume it's software.  One specific thing I've heard
of recently is that if you have the latest version of iTunes 6.0.2
and are running 10.3.9, Disk Utility can hang.  One "solution" is to
delete every .pkg file with iTunes in the name from /Library/Receipts
except for iTunesX.pkg and iTunesPhoneDriver.pkg.  Another is to
strip iTunes of it's Intel-specific code.

Hope that helps,