[Ti] Airport Noise ?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 30 22:40:23 PST 2006

1. The frequency is (obviously) whatever the 2.4 GHz antenna is
picking up.  As far as I know, there are no units attached to it.
2. MacStumbler does not report a noise value from Airport Extreme
cards.  If you want to see noise values, use Apple's Airport Client
Monitor.  To get it, download the Airport Management Tools from:
http://www.apple.com/support/airport/
3. Presumably, airport is having trouble staying connected to the
network.  In my experience, this isn't common, but it undoubtedly
depends on your operating environment.  Try running Airport Client
Monitor on all the computers you want on the wireless network, and
then move the base station to various locations in your house; see
what provides the best signal for all computers.  You also should try
adjusting the channel being used; channels 1, 6, and 11 don't overlap
at all, but I've sometimes had luck picking a channel in the middle
of those numbers too.

Technical note about channel overlap, for those that are curious;
802.11 sends data over a range of frequencies, so nearby channels
interfere with each other.  The minimum separation to avoid this
overlap is 5 channels; since the US only allows channels 1 through
11, most people pick either 1, 6, or 11 to maximize the number of non-
overlapping channels available.