[Ti] Has My Ti Died ?

Sean Ferguson seanferguson at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 16 13:02:10 PDT 2006

Hello to all,

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated concerning the
following problems with my Ti 550/OS 10.4.5. It's drive was replaced
3 years ago and it's logic board was replaced last July. But:

1) Last month, the Ethernet Port stopped working. Now, plugging it
into my router port just causes the router activity light to blink
incessantly like I'm downloading a huge file. Swapping Ethernet
cables and router ports make no difference. My desktop still works
fine with the router (though 1 of the router's 4 ports did stop
working months ago). Plugging the PowerBook directly into the DSL
modem causes the modem's "Ethernet" light to go off; and Apple
Hardware Test says everything passes, including Ethernet. I've
considered buying a wireless card and router to get back online - but
if it's the motherboard again, it's money spent for nothing.

2) Today, the PowerBook refuses to boot from it's drive. I was
booting into Target mode to transfer some files when I got a
"Unrecognized Format - Initialize?" message. Restarting gives me a
flashing "Folder/?" message. It boots from a DiskWarrior CD, but
DiskWarrior cannot see a volume to rebuild. And I can't re-install
from the Tiger CD because there is no volume to select - and Disk
Utility shows the drive, but no volumes (it also shows:
"...S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified...;" "...Writable: Yes...;" and
"...Mac OS 9 Drivers Installed: No [though one of my two volumes ran
OS 9.2.2]..."). Clicking "Erase" to reformat the drive produces the
message: "Disk Erase Failed with the error: Input/output error." Once
more, Apple Hardware Test shows no problems - Everything passes! ...
A new hard drive might fix it, but again I'm throwing money away if
it has unfixable motherboard problems.

Please...What do I do?
Sean Ferguson