[Ti] power connection ...problem

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Mon Jun 26 10:14:40 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I am trying to track down a problem with the charging system on my
tibook.

Here's what happens.
Though the battery is fully charged and the unit plugged in the icon
will report 0% charged, then it will flip to showing 99% charged.
It will fluctuate between these every few minutes but there's no
regular consistency to this change.
While typing this email this flip flop has gone on 3 times but now
hasn't changed for 10 minutes.

When it's at 0% I unplug it and of course the machine goes to sleep.
When it's at 99% I unplug it and it runs on the battery.

I've run the usual software maintenance programs and even ran the
hardware diagnostics this behaviour remains and nothing irregular is
reported.

Two months ago I did move the screen around a bit while fixing a broken
hinge but this problem has shown up in the last week or so.

I booted from my firewire drive and still go the 0 % to 99 % thing
going.

I am thinking this is something like a loose wire or the charging unit
in the laptop.
I have two different plug ins (office and home) and this still happens
with each.

Anyone has this type of thing happen with their powerbook?

Is it hardware/wiring most likely?  What did  you do?
thanks
tim