[Ti] power connection ...problem

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Mon Jun 26 22:16:33 PDT 2006

> From: T Molnar <tam at em.ca>
> Subject: [Ti] power connection ...problem
> I am trying to track down a problem with the charging system on my > tibook.
>
> Here's what happens.
> Though the battery is fully charged and the unit plugged in the icon
> will report 0% charged, then it will flip to showing 99% charged.
> It will fluctuate between these every few minutes but there's no
> regular consistency to this change.
> While typing this email this flip flop has gone on 3 times but now
> hasn't changed for 10 minutes.
>
> When it's at 0% I unplug it and of course the machine goes to sleep.
> When it's at 99% I unplug it and it runs on the battery.

One thing you can do, and i have had this happen, the same symptoms after a
repair at Apple, was to take the battery out.  Note where the brass
connectors on the battery slide into a plastic housing on the board at the
top in the battery compartment.  There are two screws for this connecter on
the board, make sure they are tight.

Also, if you have replaced your hard drive recently, or apple did a repair
and had to remove it and put it back...whatever....if you did not put the
hex screws back in all the way, through the holes and rubber grommets...all
the way...just a tip sticking out or so, this screw head will put pressure
on the battery and this will cause the battery to not seat and connect
properly and in turn this leads to the erratic charging numbers you are
seeing.  See if this works.  If you need more info, please email me off
list.  I had this exact issue after a recent apple repair and my Ti and this
turned out to be the solution.
Hope this works for you.

Cheers
Fred