[Ti] Understanding security threats (was Re: Intel Mac Mini?)

William Scammell bill at wscd.biz
Thu Mar 2 06:35:55 PST 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 1:36 AM, Lists wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Chris has very little interest in other people's opinions of him,
> which some people admire and some people don't, and makes some
> people like him and some people not.
>
> Thus we are left to decide for ourselves whether we want to take
> the word of one individual as to whether or not there are "serious"
> problems with Mac OS X.  He has decided to keep this information in
> his own control, and therefore rob the community of the ability to
> judge for themselves.  He calls this safeguarding the community.
>
> [snip]

while i'll grant the fact that chris has kept mum on specifics,
perhaps there are professional reasons for this. perhaps he works in
the security field. perhaps he doesn't want to give a lurker on this
list (or someone searching the archives of Deja News or an equiv.
site) any ideas on how to better enable their malware.

here's a metaphor to consider, perhaps not a perfect one, but bare
with me:

          -->> you find out your neighbour is a terrorist. do you
hold a block meeting with your untrained civilian neighbours, or do
you call the FBI?

perhaps chris is in the predicament. we're only his neighbours, not a
professional org. that deals with these things on a daily basis.

sure, the opinions of chris "mr. mysterious the information horder"
olson might not be sufficiently open source/touchy feely enough for
you, but from where i'm sitting, your soap box is just as high.

i think you both need to give it a rest.

bill

William Scammell
Creative Director

bill @ wscd.biz