[Ti] powerbook buzzing

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Sun Mar 5 21:19:43 PST 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Jim Freeman wrote:

> When I lift the computer and turn it at a particular angle, there
> is a buzzing sound like a fast moving part rubbing somewhere.
>
> Am I just unlucky, with two hard drives failing in a row? or is the
> hard drive failure a symptom of something else?

It could be a fan, so verify it is not coincidental with the fans
going on. It could be your audio, so make sure it's not just coming
from the speakers (though the fact that it occurs when you change the
orientation of the PowerBook would tend to indicate it is something
mechanical).

If it's the disk, it would be an unlucky coincidence. There's nothing
in the electronics or other operation of the PowerBook that would
cause a mechanical fault in a disk drive.

If your at all handy, you could replace the disk yourself; it's
pretty easy to do. AppleCare did let me do so once last year, sending
me a replacement with a return shipping label to send back the bad
one. You'll have to give them a credit card number as a cancelable
deposit.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com