[Ti] is iChat different from Yahoo Messenger, MSN etc?

Kaskudoo kaskudoo at freenet.de
Fri Mar 17 11:41:58 PST 2006

well, the ports used by iChat will probably be blocked. it might not
even be the port ranges necessary for instant messeging, but for
video conferencing ... iChat uses the most port ranges out of the
instant messenger services i know ....
before downloading AIM or YAHOO Messenger or MSN, get one that suits
all services, like 'Fire' ... you will find it on versiontracker....
it can accomodate all services at once and is a very lightweight
little program that doesn't open five other windows when you start
it. i am very happy with it .... even if it is just for testing
purpose you might wanna install it - it is easy to remove too. you
will not be able to have fancy smilies or video chat, but therefore
it is very reliable. i use it for IRC as well .... uh, and you can
have it look almost like iChat.

so again, it is not the software, but probably the port ranges that
get you disconnected from the service. this article may help you:

cheers
wilhelm