[Ti] Applications that Won't Open on 17" PowerBook

Smith William mashalomcha at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 17 23:25:13 PST 2006

I have a 17" PowerBook (1.5 GHz Power PC G4; 1 GB DDR
SDRAM) running OS X 10.3.9.

While I was downloading e-mail to Eudora, my RJ-11
phone jack accidently came out. Since then I have a
number of applications that won't open or have the
permanent, spinning beach ball. The applications
include Safari (so I can't change my preference for a
browser), Netscape 7.1, Camino, Disk First Aid, and
Software Update.

Eudora 6.2 still works fine.

I have run Disk FirstAid and DiskWarrior from another
partition multiple times.

I had had this problem with OS X 10.3.3 as well. I
just downloaded the OS X 10.3.9 about a week ago when
I was at a hotel that uses Wi-Fi. (It would have taken
more than 10 hours to download the upgrade on my slow
dial-up internet access.)

What might I try to alleviate this situation? Could
this be caused by a corrupt plist? If so, which one
might I try to remove.

Thanks!

William