[Ti] powerbook crashing [panic.log]

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 22 16:03:22 PST 2006

Well, in theory, they should all get logged, but I have seen them get
missed myself, and I'm not always sure why.

In 10.2, when they changed from the behavior of dumping ugly text all
over your screen to putting up a multi-lingual message, they
redirected the text to the PRAM.  Then, the next time you reboot, the
OS sees that there is a panic log in the PRAM, and writes it to
disk.  It's done this way because writing to the PRAM is a more basic
access; once the kernel has panicked, there is no guarantee that the
OS is in a state where it would be possible to write to the disk.

There are two reasons why a panic won't be logged.  The first is if
you have turned on remote debugging in Open Firmware - this is used
by people who write kernel code.  Once the kernel panics, they can
use a second computer to tap into memory and the kernel and see what
went wrong.  You would almost certainly know if you had turned this
on.  If you think you might've turned it on, type "nvram boot-args"
on the command line; if it prints out just "boot-args", it's off.  If
it prints anything after "boot-args", then you have a non-standard
setup - specifically, if it spits out "debug=0x(something)", then it
won't save a panic log.

The other time it won't save the panic log is if you reset PRAM.  One
could do this inadvertently by using the button on the back of
certain TiBooks, under the keyboard of others, or by pressing a
certain key combo.  To properly reboot a panicked Mac, you should
either press Command-Control-Power or hold down the power button for
several seconds.

Now, I know I've had logs not saved when neither of these is the case
- of course, if the computer panics while booting, before it can
write to the log, the old panic will get overwritten.  Also, I
believe the information is only saved for 1 reboot, so if you boot
into Single User Mode, boot to a CD, or something else immediately
after the panic, you may lose the log.  However, I don't know what
else causes it to miss some panics.  Perhaps changed permissions
somewhere, I suppose.  Or maybe the kernel is in really bad shape,
and can't even manage to write to PRAM.

If all else fails and you want to see your panic, it's also possible
to disable the graphical panic display, and go back to the text on
your screen.

HTH,