[Ti] OT: ADSL in Europe

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sun May 28 06:03:08 PDT 2006

On 24 May 2006, at 19:36, alexandre wrote:

>> Tarik, I hear a small amount of static. I'm using a pretty basic
>> pots phone. It's a cordless from GE (model number: ES26702A)
>>
>> Thanks for trying to help.
>>
>> Sorry for the delay in responding. We've had no electricity all day.

Also my apologies for not responding earlier.

OK. As you probably know, DSL technologies run on the ordinary copper
wire your POTS uses, and uses the high frequencies (that you can't
normally hear) , usually above 35Khz.

However the DSL system is not perfect, partly due to the differences
in particular DSL technologies, and mainly due to the massive
differences in Telco wires and equipment around the country and the
world.

So you sometimes will hear static (the DSL modem talking) , and the
filters are there to prevent that.
--

My guess is that either:

1) There is a problem with the filters, try testing a different brand
of microfilter. They are very cheap so this shouldn't be hard to do.

2) There is a problem with the interaction of the Telco equipment
with the DSL service. For example when DSL first started many Telcos
used a splitter outside your house that separated the voice and data
channels. This practice was stopped because it's more expensive. You
must talk to your Telco and explain the problem. If your cordless
phone is not a DECT model (just a normal analogue one) they will
probably try and blame the static on that, so be prepared to borrow a
standard wired phone to prove that this is not the case.

The situation you are experiencing has been known to happen. I've
heard of people having the same issue in London around 10 years ago,
though in recent history I've not seen or heard this.

--
I'm sorry I can't be more specific (I'm no telcom expert), but you
really must try to reach the experts in the Greek provider's support

cheers,

Tarik