[Ti] superdrive

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Thu Nov 23 12:25:15 PST 2006

Greetings,

When my combo drive gave up, I shoe-horned a superdrive into my 15"
TiBook.  I ordered a cable from www.macsupportstore.com.  Their SKU for
this cable is 922-4672 and the description is "Cable, CD-RW or CD-RW /
DVD-ROM (Combo), Flex".  You need a different cable as the connector on
the drive is on the opposite end of the back side.  The physical
mounting hardware is also different.  There is a site I checked that
sells a tray and cable package for it but as I recall it cost about
half the price I paid for my drive ($100).  I can't remember which
vendor that was, possible OWC.  I opted to forgo the tray and engineer
my own support.  Initially I was going to use the carcass from the old
drive to make a tray.  That wasn't working too well so I made rubber
spacers to support the drive.  It is ugly but it works well.