[Ti] Tom's MacBook Doesn't Always Start

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Mon Oct 23 02:37:25 PDT 2006

on 06/10/22 23:41, T.L. Miller at tlmiller at mac.com wrote:

> I'm thinking that the two gigs of RAM I installed could be the problem.

Why? Your MacBook has hundreds of hardware components in it which could
cause this problem, not to mention software.  If it were RAM, I would expect
to see many different problems; random freezes and crashes at unpredictable
times, not a single specific problem as you have described.

> Again, any easy way to test RAM? Would an Apple store have RAM test equipment?

Your RAM is probably tested every time your machine boots.

I would say that you're in a very unfortunate situation, and you're going to
have to work persistently with AppleCare to get it fixed.  First of all,
they'll have you reinstall all of the system software.  If that doesn't
work, you're going to have to send it in to them, and you're going to have
to be insistent that they not send it back to you until they've reproduced
and fixed the problem, and this might take a long time.  If they can't find
the problem in a reasonable time, they should send you a new machine, and
you might have to threaten to start an "apple sucks" blog to get them to do
this.

Good luck!

Jerry