[Ti] I'm thinking that the two gigs of RAM I installed could be the problem

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Mon Oct 23 04:03:46 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 5:41 AM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> Got my black MacBook in June and immediately replaced the 512 megs
> with
> 2 gigs of RAM. I used occasionally without problems until August when
> sometimes instead of starting, the sleep light came on and the screen
> stayed dark OR I would get the startup chime repeatedly with a
> plain lit
> screen until I shut it down. These problems happen less than 5% of
> the time.
>
> Also in the last month or two, it has given me 2 or 3 kernal panics.
>
> These problems don't seem to be the Random Shutdown Syndrome
> because the
> machine is cool and has never quit when hot.
>
> I'm thinking that the two gigs of RAM I installed could be the
> problem.
> I switched them around and jammed them in but maybe one or both is
> defective. Is there an easy way to test RAM. Removing one gig at a
> time
> would be hard to test because my problems happen less than 5% of
> the time.
>
> Again, any easy way to test RAM? Would an Apple store have RAM test
> equipment?

Tom - in spite of what Jerry wrote - and who knows, at this stage - I
would still consider RAM as a possible source of the problems.

In June, I replaced one of my 512 Mb RAM with a 1 Gb chip.  I had
relatively few problems, but the occasional kernel panic or freeze or
something made me aware that things were not right.
Eventually, I decided, after a few months, that it was probably
system corruption that was the problem.
I reformatted the disk, re-installed 10.4, but I was having kernel
panics even at this stage. I realised that it must be a fundamental
issue.   Suddenly, I thought MAYBE IT IS THE RAM !
I just took out the 1Gb chip, and everything was perfect,
immediately, and has been every since.

I since returned the 1Gb RAM to the vendor, and got myself a Seagate
Momentum 100 GB 7200 rpm disk for the same price as an exchange.

Please let us know how you get on with this issue.

All the best, Trevor