[Ti] PC card slot

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Sep 5 06:23:35 PDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 11:05 PM, Barbara Needham wrote:

> I'm the computer person in our family. My husband has a Titanium
> power book on which we were running an old orinoco card with a
> driver from ioexperts.
>
> He thought the card stopped working so I got a card from
> MacWireless. It doesn't seem to want to work either, so now I am
> wondering if the problem is in the slot itself. We always had to
> push the card in very firmly to have it work.

The PC card slot is replaceable; not sure what it would cost off
AppleCare. Your problem could be in the software, the Orinoco card or
the PC slot. You can only diagnose by substitution and isolation. You
seem to have ruled out the driver. To verify further, get something
like Kismac that uses the Orinoco card with its own driver just to
make sure.

Next, see if you can get another PC Card to verify the slot. Perhaps
a compact flash adapter (or whatever adapter needed to plug in the
memory from your digital camera). They're pretty cheap ($8-$15). Or
you could borrow a known good card from someone else, preferably not
a wireless card.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com