[Ti] Using a Ti PB w/external monitor

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Sat Apr 7 08:03:50 PDT 2007

By default, they all sleep when you close the lid.  There is a hack
that I saw a while back that overrides this behaviour.  My
understanding is that Apple intended the lid to be open for head
dissipation while it is in use.  I have trouble with mine (500MHz G4
1GB) overheating even when it is open.  If you have auxiliary cooling
like one of those lap-desks with the fans, that might be enough.  Do
you have a temperature monitor program?  Mine doesn't make the temp
sensors available but I could at least monitor the SMART status of
the drive.  Its temp probe gave me a rough idea of the internal
temp.  I use http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Perhaps a better solution would be to set your external monitor up
just above, or next to, the display on the TiBook while open, then
use both monitors at once.