[Ti] HD DVD videos on Macs?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Thu Feb 15 11:18:51 PST 2007

On 15 Feb 2007, at 19:06, M.Milligan wrote:

> Is it possible to view HD DVDs on Macs?

Murray - not at the moment.  Maybe not at all.

Current 4.7Gb DVD use red laser light, the HD and Blue-Ray DVD use a
blue (shorter wavelength, smaller spot size, more data per unit area)
laser light, so the current DVD drives will not read the newer high-
capacity disks.

 From what I know, Apple is supporting the alternative Blue-Ray DVD
format, so I am expecting that a Mac will soon be available with a
[Pioneer?] Blue-Ray DVD drive.  They are backward compatible with
current DVD.

Blue-Ray disks have higher (25 Gb) capacity than HD (15 Gb ) disks,
and with data storage demand going exponential, I am sure Blue-ray is
the way to go.....

regards, Trevor