[Ti] PBook making strange noise

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Mon Jan 8 08:21:17 PST 2007

On 6 Jan 2007, at 07:34, Jean-Paul Thuot wrote:

> I have a 1Ghz PBook, updated to 10.4.8, 768mb RAM.  Recently, I've
> begun noticing a very quite noise, like a small beeping or something,
> coming from inside.  What it sounds like to me is that something is
> processing (a sound like tiny gears running, I know that sounds
> silly), followed by a small beep.

Jean-Paul - I think (what else can I say) that it might just be the
disk, behaving normally.  Maybe you have changed your work pattern?

My Seagate internal disk is very quiet, but when it is very active
(eg P2P downloading from multiple sources to multiple folders, as it
often is these days), it makes a very quiet noise that does sound
like tiny gears running [I liked your description].

My external [BACKUP] disks do occasionally make small noises that my
wife describes as birds cheeping.  She often asks what it is.  I view
it as "normal" in that it has been like that for ever.

hth, Trevor

1.25 Al-book