[Ti] Cautionary Story

Frank Ettenberg frank.ettenberg at chello.at
Tue Jan 9 04:24:45 PST 2007

Hello List,  Just wanted to relate that I am a Tit. g4 1.67ghz
Powerbook owner.  I bought it on ebay and the original 'owner' sold
it 'as is', without the original OSX disks.  In any event, I am also
a self-taught Mac user, therefore VERY prone to making mistakes in
using the pb & sussing out problems with this machine.  The powebook
seemed to be having problems-but not really very serious ones- in
early Dec during startup and in using certain applications, so I
heeded some advice given here, such as getting info via Terminal.  I
really didnt know what I was doing, so using a program like Terminal
& AppleJack-for me- was a BIG mistake and perhaps led to the major
system/hard disk malfunction that developed around Xmastime.  I could
no longer get anything but an incomprehensible error message out of
AppleJack-doing a command-s at startup-and the startup never got any
further than the whirling circle on the grey screen.  I contacted a
local technician and he said that the system malfunction was next to
impossible for him to diagnose & he'd never before seen anything like
it.  A mac friend of mine said that a previous user of this pb might
have processed movies or videos & that process tends to really upset
formatting of info on the disk.  The seller of this unit may or may
not have done a clean install of the disk before selling it & the
technician doubts that.  At any rate,  I appreciate the notion of
info sharing, but, in effect, I as an amateur have little ability to
understand what y'all are saying and recommending a large part of the
time.  Just a note for everyone--this game can be very expensive, of
course, especially for ignoramuses like me.  ( I paid  the tech about
450 dollars to fix the problem--he recovered just about all my jpgs
and other data, so at least I know I must regularly back everything
up.) Anyhow, I now have a perfectly functioning pb since he formatted
the disk-except that it slows down considerably when I've just
started Limewire-and I have to replenish a lot of the software that
was discarded in the clean/install that the tech wound up doing.