[Ti] OT: iPhone - shock ?

John simplymail at ururk.com
Wed Jan 10 19:50:22 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> What bothers me about the Apple iPhone product is that the
> telephony side of it is a bit weak. It supports EDGE for data
> access at best, not even a 3g technology. This is going to make
> using it for web browsing painfully slow.
>
> The cynical in one might say that this is done intentionally to
> prevent Cingular from taking a decent cut from iTunes music store
> purchases via the phone since they will be inconveniently slow.

> I hope that Apple have a proper 3g phone in the works, and that it
> supports some kind of VOIP gateway (e.g. SIP) like my Nokia E60
> does, allowing me to make voip landline calls from anywhere that I
> have a 802.11 wireless connection.

I have read discussion about this, and most people seem to think it
will support 3G when it rolls out to Europe. Plus there is talk of a
CDMA version.... who knows. One of the larger factors is that 3G
supposedly eats batteries. WiFi does too... so I don't know if that
argument holds water. Further, the battery is non-removable, so it
may be very inconvenient in any event which technology you use.

I mean, to sync music wirelessly (one feature people want), probably
eats up a lot of battery. I'm sure Apple is considering the fact that
the user will have their device attached to an iPod connector which
supplies a data connection and power while syncing. I mean, that was
the benefit of the original iPod - over firewire it charged AND
synced at the same time. Only a handful of devices at the time
supported charging over USB. And now people want to remove that
feature, which I think distinguished it and added to it's simplicity.

I have doubts the iPhone will support VOIP out-of the box, but I have
all the faith in the world that this will become the fastest hacked
device on the market when it is released.

John