[Ti] OT: iPhone - shock ?

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Thu Jan 11 03:17:57 PST 2007

One thing not discussed is the tie in of tech between Cingular and Apple
At the Keynote the voicemail integration was at the network level
If the iPhone is unlocked and used on a different network then unless
Apple/Cingular allow other networks to
use the same level of intergration then you will be stuck with an
iPhone that has features missing
This Has to have been thought out as if the phone is going to Europe
and Asia the tech MUST be portable cross network,
but I will bet that Apple will similarly partner with networks in
those regions and the same issues will arise in every territory.

Alex

On 11 Jan 2007, at 03:50, John wrote:

On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> What bothers me about the Apple iPhone product is that the
> telephony side of it is a bit weak. It supports EDGE for data
> access at best, not even a 3g technology. This is going to make
> using it for web browsing painfully slow.
>
> The cynical in one might say that this is done intentionally to
> prevent Cingular from taking a decent cut from iTunes music store
> purchases via the phone since they will be inconveniently slow.

> I hope that Apple have a proper 3g phone in the works, and that it
> supports some kind of VOIP gateway (e.g. SIP) like my Nokia E60
> does, allowing me to make voip landline calls from anywhere that I
> have a 802.11 wireless connection.

I have read discussion about this, and most people seem to think it
will support 3G when it rolls out to Europe. Plus there is talk of a
CDMA version.... who knows. One of the larger factors is that 3G
supposedly eats batteries. WiFi does too... so I don't know if that
argument holds water. Further, the battery is non-removable, so it
may be very inconvenient in any event which technology you use.

I mean, to sync music wirelessly (one feature people want), probably
eats up a lot of battery. I'm sure Apple is considering the fact that
the user will have their device attached to an iPod connector which
supplies a data connection and power while syncing. I mean, that was
the benefit of the original iPod - over firewire it charged AND
synced at the same time. Only a handful of devices at the time
supported charging over USB. And now people want to remove that
feature, which I think distinguished it and added to it's simplicity.

I have doubts the iPhone will support VOIP out-of the box, but I have
all the faith in the world that this will become the fastest hacked
device on the market when it is released.

John