[Ti] OT: iPhone - shock ?

Fred fred at mindstate.com
Thu Jan 11 13:11:50 PST 2007

> From: John Griffin <jwegriffin at mac.com>."
> <titanium at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] OT: iPhone - shock ?
>
> One other thing that one has to keep in mind is that Cingular, claims
> to have the fewest dropped calls. However according to Consumers
> Reports it is among the worst and least reliable carriers in North
> America.
>
> Why not Verizon? It is the top rated carrier in North America right
> now (again, according to Consumers Reports).
>
> jg
:

That really has nothing to do with it.  It is not about the carriers...it is
about the tech.  Verizon is CDMA and most of the world is GSM with SIM
cards.  So, apple is obviously interested in dealing with the majority of
the market, globally.  Cingular and T-Mobile are GSM in the states.  So,
they chose Cingular and they are GSM and the largest in the US as well.

Apple might choose to build a CDMA version, there are various
prognostications on that, but for now, they chose GSM, for obvious reasons.

The US and Japan have some CDMA carriers...and a few other countries have
small CDMA based cell carriers here and there, not many,  but the vast
majority of the world operates via GSM.

Sorry..but maybe apple may choose to do a CDMA phone.  I don't think so from
what I have heard, but who knows.

Ross, correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers