[Ti] OT: iPhone - shock ?

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jan 16 07:23:40 PST 2007

On Jan 16, 2007, at 3:38 AM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

>> On 1/10/07 7:28 PM, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This seems to be a recent trend with Apple. They focus too much on
>>> the casual iPod users and not enough on the people who use their
>>> products for more than just leisure.
>>
>> Casual users outnumber others by a *huge* margin.
>
> Agreed, but commitment to quality and innovation was one of the
> things that drew people like me to Apple in the first place. I now
> see a trend which worries me.

Quality and innovation are all over the iPhone; it's a truly
revolutionary (or at least big evolutionary) step. The question of
whether extended capability (for "power users" like some of us) is
included is a bit of a different issue.

It does have Bluetooth and WiFi and an OS X supervisor inside. I
suspect that within a few weeks or a couple of months of its
availability, you will see 3rd party hacks and applications that will
open things up more. It happened with OS X. Apple will likely also
expand capabilities with firmware upgrades, software upgrades or even
new models, adopting some of the 3rd party capabilities into the
system, again, just as they did with Macs and OS X.

For an initial launch, when you have a complex product like this that
does so much so differently, the best strategy is to keep it fairly
simple so that lots of "ordinary folks" can get one, understand
fairly quickly how to use it, and build a strong market. That's what
made the iPod such a success in a market already filled with MP3
players and the original Palm Pilot such a hit. Afterwards, you can
tinker with and add functionality a little at a time so as not to
confuse everyone.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com