[Ti] Howdy Group!

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu Jan 18 03:08:11 PST 2007

On 16 Jan 2007, at 16:11, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> On 16 Jan 2007, at 16:27, dr wrote:
>
>> appreciated.
>
> Personally, I have never had a single problem with any Apple power
> supply.  That is all I have ever used.

I only use Apple power supplies (I've looked at the third party ones
and they are no better imho) and I do have problems with them. I'm a
heavy user and probably a bit heavy handed, constantly plugging in
and unplugging and there are two main issues i've had:

a) Cable insulation wearing away and gradually the inner cable
strands breaking.
b) Apple connector is poorly made, doesn't fit well, due to soft
material it deforms further on use.

These (i hope) are now solved with the new magnetic connectors which
seem like a much better solution.

My solution to these problems has been to count the cost of buying
replacement supplies as an ongoing cost (like replacement batteries)
to owning a Powerbook. I get through approximately 1 power brick per
18 months.

Cheaper 3rd party supplies are definitely an option and I would not
see any harm in using them as long as they are made to a comparable
build quality.

--
Tarik