[Ti] Need new HD for my TiBook

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 27 12:58:59 PST 2007

On Sun 28 Jan,, at 1:43 AM, Scott Strehlow wrote:

snip

> I put a Travelstar 7K60 7200 RPM drive in my G4 a year or so ago,
> replacing a 20 GB 4200 RPM stock drive.  They both have the same
> number of heads so the bit density is about three times higher and
> the rotational speed is almost twice, resulting in a burst rate of
> almost six times higher.  The buffer is also bigger.  I think this
> drive has an 8MB buffer vs. 2MB in the old drive.
>
> I noticed a significant decrease in boot time from the old drive.
> Of course, I've forgotten how long it used to take to boot so now
> it still takes too long...  It does seem to run hotter than it used
> to.  Though I am having some problems with the fan in my TiBook now
> too so that may be a factor.
>
> Scott
> Scott Strehlow, RDA, CDA, BS

That is a most informative post, Scott. Thanks.

My experience: a Titanium PB G4 867 1 gb RAM. About a year ago I
replaced the original 40 gb 4200 rpm HD with a 60 gb 7200 HD. I
certainly noticed a speed increase but that perception fades in time.
But the definite downside is the heat increase. Prior to the new HD
the fans would rarely start and even then mostly only one of them.
Now it does not take much surfing etc for the first fan to start then
usually soon after that the second one starts.

So for anyone contemplating replacing their HD I would recommend that
5400 is the best trade off for speed v heat. I do not think that most
of we ordinary users can tell the difference between 5400 and 7200 so
go with the one which is cooler.

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA