[Ti] Need new HD for my TiBook (with a new question)

Peter Sealy pandcsealy at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 27 16:06:17 PST 2007

On Sun 28 Jan,, at 9:02 AM, David DelMonte wrote:

> Henry, the best place to get step by step instructions is http://
> www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/
>
> David
>
> On Jan 27, 2007, at 4:53 PM, Henry Kalir wrote:
>
>> I agree with that! Here's an added question:
>>
>> I bought a 100 GB (5400) HD for my Ti 1GHz to replace the 60 GB on
>> it .
>>
>> My question: Can someone who has ALREADY DONE IT please run a step
>> by step instruction post as to how I would transfer the contents
>> of the current 60 GB HD to the 100GB HD?
>>
>> I do have a 250 GB firewire HD that I can use as an interim
>> repository.
>>
>> Best and TIA
>>
>> Henry

snip

David, those ifixit guides are really helpful and worth bookmarking.
But I think that Henry is asking how does he transfer his data from
his 60 gb HD [to be discarded] to the new 100 gb HD [to be installed
in the PB].

The easiest way I believe would be to just clone the current 60 gb HD
onto the 250 gb FW HD using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner or some
other similar app, boot from the FW HD just to make sure all is OK,
then swap the 60 gb HD with the new 100 gb HD [with the help of the
guide mentioned by David], boot again from the FW HD, format the new
100 gb HD, then clone the entire system back from the ext FW HD to
the new 100 gb. That has the added advantage of defragmenting the
system on the new 100 gb HD.

Peter Sealy
Thurgoona AUSTRALIA