[Ti] Hinge Repair advice

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jul 10 07:42:04 PDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at Tue, Jul 10 2007, 9:21 am, FWPHOTO wrote:

> Yeah, I don't want to replace it myself. Was hoping a "repair"
> might be good enough. I'm glad to see they can still be replaced,
> though, & it'd probably be worth every penny of the $200. I wonder
> how long it would take?

It would only take them a day or two for the repair. Most of the time
is in shipping out and back. They send you a box. You can pay extra
for 2nd day or overnight, but I didn't find it worth it for a
secondary machine.

>  I'm thinking if I can loosen the hinges just a bit to take some of
> the open/closing strain off the repair & do a good job epoxying the
> broken piece (maybe figuring out some sort of reinforcement, too)
> it "might" hold up. I'm hoping someone has had a similar break,
> repaired it, & can tell me if it all worked out OK.

There should be enough friction on the other hinge to hold the lid
open for use. That would allow you to loosen the broken hinge with
the RADTECH tool so that it just swings freely and has no binding
stress. Then the epoxy will have little demand on it and should hold
OK for the few times you'll be opening and closing it.

--
Dennis Fazio