[Ti] Any spots on the Leopard ?

Dr. Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Sat Nov 3 17:00:05 PDT 2007

I was surprised to find that the arrival of OS X 10.5 "Leopard" has
not even added one post to the List, since 1 October (according to my
records) !

Ten days ago, I ordered Leopard from Amazon (UK), and it arrived
Monday 29 October.

It installed with no issues, very simply, very easily, on my 4+ year
old Aluminium G4 Powerbook.

These are my observations so far:

- it has used up a lot of my disk space !

- Applejack no longer works under Leopard, which is a great pity, as
this was my regular maintenance utility.  I hope this gets fixed very
soon.
  I feel kind of lost without it....

- FruitMenu and Window Shade X do not work with Leopard.  These are
part of the way I work, so this is disappointing

- Spaces does not seem as sophisticated as You Control Desktops, so I
was quite disappointed.
   It does not seem that each Space can have it's own desktop picture.

- TimeMachine took a really long time to create the first backup.
Each incremental backup seems huge.
   I still run Retrospect in parallel, until I feel that TimeMachine
can do what I need.
   I could not see how to look for an unintentionally-deleted file by
name, only by location.
   TimeMachine adapts easily to the situation where I have one backup
at home, one at work.
   It does mean that I have to manually select the right disk at each
location.
   I appreciate the simplicity of TimeMachine, but the downside is
that it cannot be customised (the time interval/frequency of backup,
for example, is not in my control)

- I feel that my Mac is running faster now

- every day I am discovering new features

I hope some others have some Leopard-on-my-laptop experience to share.

regards,  Trevor