[Ti] Advice please

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 22:31:31 PST 2007

Suzanna,
        I've found it quite easy to install onto titaniums with no
disc.  You connect your mac with the working disc to the one with the
broken disc using the firewire cable, then power on the broken one
while holding down t (or maybe apple-t, I forget offhand).  This puts
it into firewire target mode.  I know it's in that mode on mine when
the screen comes up blue with a yellow symbol.  Once that's done,
power on the machine with the working disc (and your Leopard install
dvd inserted) while holding down c.  Once the good machine boots from
the install disc, it will see that there's more than one place to
install to and will allow you to chose where to install.  I think the
firewire target machine (your broken-disc titanium) shows up in the
list of choices as a symbol that looks like the yellow symbol
displayed on the broken machine's screen.  Select that and run the
install as normal.  When it's all done, you can boot the good machine
as usual, but the broken-disc machine has a newly installed OS.  Just
make certain you're not selecting the normal drive on your good
machine to install to.
        I've only done fresh installs to the target and have never
tried to preserve the contents of the target machine during this
operation, so I don't know if there's a way to keep installed
programs, etc on the target, so you're on your own if you need to
preserve stuff on the broken-disc machine.  Maybe if you select
'archive and install' it'll keep stuff for you.. dunno..

Jake