[Ti] iPhone / AT+T network as a modem w/MacBook Pro

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Sat Nov 10 22:39:48 PST 2007

Tom Klinkowstein <klinkows at mediaa.com> writes:
> Anyone know a way to use an iPhone / AT+T network as a modem with
> MacBook Pro?

There is no official ability to get tethered internet access with the
iPhone.  Somebody might've hacked it to get it to work, but I wouldn't
recommend it unless you're willing to forgo all future software
updates (which would risk permanently disabling your phone).

For other phones, it is possible; I've used my Sony Ericsson Z520a to
access the internet on my PowerBook.  I think the tradeoff is that the
ability to tether on a smartphone is generally extra; for other
smartphones, I think you have to pay around $45/month for data, and
something like $60 for the ability to tether.  Similarly, you can get
unlimited data through a PC card for $60/month in addition to a
regular wireless plan.  On the other hand, the iPhone data plan is $20/
month - you just can't use it with your computer.

Seems like a fair tradeoff to me - assuming that they're going to
gouge you for internet, anyway.  In reality, none of the unlimited
data plans should cost as much as they do.  I hope someday that
wireless data is the same price and speed as what one can get in a
wired connection.  Until then, I'll probably live without wireless
data service.

Kynan