[Ti] TimeCapsule & scanner

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:36:16 PDT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Is there any solution / workaround to this issue ?

In my experience, the HP software (beyond the basic drivers) is
problematic, at best.  I cannot scan from my Macs at all using the HP
software.  I have a Photosmart C6100 HPF74458 All-In-One which is
connected to my network via ethernet.  I have not tried using its
wireless connection.  What I can do, however, is to go to the
Jetdirect's IP address in the browser and use the configuration web
site to scan.  I don't have the fancy tools like OCR or the ability
to use the document feeder, but it works in a pinch.  If I need the
other features, I use the Windows laptop.  I have not actually tried
installing the HP suite on my Win 2k installation under Parallels to
see if that will work.   Hmm.  One more project...

On Jul 22, 2008, at 5:54 PM, John McGibney wrote:

> I have an HP6180 all-in-one printer connected to my network via
> Airport. I can scan to other wireless computers but not to the
> ethernet connected ones. Maybe its a limitation of the scanner to
> connect to computers via its connection type only (usb, airport,
> ethernet). Or maybe the new HP printer software update for Leopard
> will help.

All the computers and devices on your network should be "in the same
space" regardless of being plugged in or wireless.  I'm not sure
about your network configuration, but it is possible that the wired
machines are connected to your access point on the WAN side, so they
cannot see the printer.  I can't think of any reason that the printer
should care which network port you are using.  I don't know this for
sure, but the gist I got from the instructions on my printer is that
it doesn't like using both its wired and wireless ports at the same
time.  Could that be the issue?  I have the wireless port on mine
disabled and use the access point to pass traffic to the printer.

Scott