[Ti] upgrade cpu on ti G4 800 dvi?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Mon Dec 29 01:29:26 PST 2008

Malcolm Cornelius wrote:
>> Rather than buying a new computer I am considering the possibility of
>> upgading the cpu on  my ti Book 800.
>>
>> Over the years I have added max ram(1G), replaced the hd (160Mb), and
>> installed a superdrive.I have done these installations myself. These
>> are just things I could do. I'm not a repairman or anything akindered.
>>
>> It's an assesment regarding the practicality and effort necessary, to
>> upgrade and install the cpu  as much as advice on equipment that I
>> would appreciate.
>
> AFAIK there is no upgrade available, the processor as with the
> majority of Apple laptops is on the MLB, so the only way to do it
> would be a complete MLB swap.

Agreed. It would just not be practical. My advice to you is to
(depending on budget)

a) Buy a second hand older intel Macbook. Caveat emptor.
b) Buy a refurbished macbook from Apple.
c) Buy the shiny new unibody Macbook from Apple.

In terms of what to do with the 800? Give it to a  younger student in
the family who is working on a big school project, sell it, donate it,
or even keep it running in the house and use it as a server (what I did
with my 400).

--
Tarik