[Ti] drive Matshita UJ-845s not spinning up disc occasionally

Malcolm Cornelius malcolm at fireflyuk.net
Sun Jul 6 15:23:38 PDT 2008

>> It's a slot loading drive that's not ejecting, so it could well be
>> misaligned if I recall correctly, so reseating it may well resolve
>> your issue.
>
> Hum, it *is* ejecting actually. It doesn't always spin up and read the
> disc, that's the problem. It also burns CD's as well as DVD's
> successfully and have no problem spinning up then, including reading
> the
> disc when it has been burnt. Also the discs go in and out with no
> noticable problems. When it does read the disc there are seldom any
> problems.
>
> I'm wondering if the discs internally occasionally get positioned at
> an
> askew angle and that's the reason it doesn't spin up porperly. Or
> maybe
> the drive is dying on me. It's not very old and I'm not sure about the
> warranty.

Any Titanium would be getting on now - they were discontinued about 5
years ago.

Is there any pattern to the discs it won't read ?  Old burnt ones, any
burnt ones or maybe only reads ones burnt on it ?

Sounds like the drive is flakey tbh.

--
Best wishes

Malcolm Cornelius - The Powerbook Fanatic
http://www.pbfanatic.co.uk