[Ti] Ti PB 867 won't play with OS 9 at all

John McGibney ncicchek at optonline.net
Thu Jul 10 06:11:33 PDT 2008

On Jul 10, 2008, at 5:11 AM, MB wrote:

> James Herndon said:
>
>> My understanding is that Apple changed the rom architecture of the
>> Titanium PowerBooks G4 sold after approximately January 10, 2003 so
>> that users could no longer boot into OS 9.
>
> This is just wrong. All Titaniums can be made to boot into OS 9
> with an
> off the shelves OS 9 system disc, i e an OS 9 disc purchased
> separately,
> as the latter of the titaniums weren't delivered with such a disc. The
> 867 Mhz model most likely need a 9.2.2 disc. At least I wouldn't
> expect
> it to boot on a 9.1 disc.
>
> The OS 9 discs that came with the latter Titanium systems are system
> restore images and you'll need a Tiger updated version of the
> installation software in order to install those as the discs
> themselves
> contain the10.2 versions. Available from apple support.
>
> For simplicity though and the need of a minimal classic system, I'd
> prefer a proper OS 9 installation disc.

Do you have a CD with OS 9.1 or later on it, like TechTool Pro Or
other diagnostic CD?
Copy the 9.1, 9.2 installers to your HD. Select the CD as your
"classic" system.
Launch OS9 and install the updates to your OS 9 System Folder on your
HD.
Then you should be good to go.

John

--
If If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?