[Ti] Ti - progressively slowing down

David Stodolsky david.stodolsky at socialinformatics.org
Wed Jun 25 07:42:33 PDT 2008

On 25 Jun 2008, at 09:43, MB wrote:

> Terence  Cozad sa såhär:
>
>> The general, but unofficial, rule is to leave at least 10% of the
>> HD free.
>> Less than that and the system slows down.
>
> 10% helps yes, but for demanding apps that also need data swap space,
> I'd say 20% free is a more useful norm.

Swap space is normally only a Gig, you can see it under System Memory
in Activity Monitor in 10.5.3. This is an absolute value that is
unrelated to drive size, so giving it as a percent doesn't make sense.
However, on some Unix systems 20% is the recommended free space.

Once I get past 5 swap files, my system becomes more or less unusable.
I try to run with a single swap file (the min.), because the system
starts to slow down with multiple swap files and also can start make
errors. Unfortunately, OS X isn't that good at reducing swap files
when memory is freed up. So, I restart to clear the system out.

dss

David Stodolsky  davidstodolsky at mac.com  Skype: davidstodolsky