[Ti] TimeMachine / TimeCapsule

Loren luteslinger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 13:03:45 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley
<TrevorHutley at consultant.com> wrote:

>  I am using my G4 Powerbook running 10.5.2 with my TimeCapsule500.
>
>  I am doing something else with the disk at the moment, but I just cannot
> stop TimeMachine from running.
>
>  It is switched OFF in the System Preference, I have locked it OFF, and yet
> it still keeps working !
>  I have put all my disk partitions in the "do not backup" category, yet it
> is still running and preparing....
>
>  We seem to have very little control over this software !
>  It just does what it wants, irrespective of how we set the preferences.
>
>  Did anyone see this kind of issue?
>
>  Since TimeMachine seems to spend most of its time "Preparing", I had had
> the idea that maybe I could use SuperDuper to make my backups to the
> TimeCapsule.
>  It seems to be working OK (not finished the first backup yet).
>
>  One of the reasons it has not finished is that TimeMachine keeps starting
> up and consuming resources, even though I have told it not to.
>
>  I must say, quite to my surprise, that the TimeMachine, and particularly
> TimeCapsule - although incredibly innovative in concept and promise - are
> the most difficult Apple stuff I have yet worked with.
>
>  How do others feel about their experience ?
>
>  regards,  Trevor

Time machine is very lame for me. My internal drive is 120g, and for
time capsule, I have an external HD, 50 gigs. For awhile it worked
fine. usually 20 gigs or so. Then all of the sudden it failed. The
error was it wanted to back-up 150 gigs. I looked in the (very
limited) settings to be sure all was clicked off, such as the extra
mounts and directories. I turned it all down to a minimum--still, the
back demanded 150 gigs. I haven't used the pile since.

--
lol!