[Ti] Re: Blueray in Macs [was 10.5.3]

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Fri May 30 14:16:52 PDT 2008

On May 30, 2008, at 11:49 AM, Dr. Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

>  was a bit surprised or disappointed  to see a PC with BluRay when
> there is no Mac laptop with such.  I feel that Apple are no longer
> leading.

There is speculation that Steve Jobs is thinking further ahead than
BlueRay and that the format war caused enough delay to effectively
kill off both options. He's moving on to Internet-based content; the
need for physical media distribution of music and movies is coming to
an end. No need for a BlueRay device in all the Macs. Those who want
or need them badly enough can get firewire/USB externals. Most others
will just go the AppleTV route.

It's possible that as the pricing on the new drives comes down they
can go in place of the existing DVD drives on new models. But that can
wait a while. I don't think that those who want to produce and burn
their own HD movies aren't there in large enough numbers yet because
the  cameras are still too pricey.
--
Dennis Fazio