[Ti] System Drive problem

J Winter day at whidbey.net
Sun Sep 21 03:11:13 PDT 2008

Hi, I just discovered this list.

On Sep 19, 2008, at 4:33 PM, Read Weaver wrote:

> My understanding is that not all Firewire hard drives are bootable--
> I've read that you need one with an Oxford chipset. (... only
> Firewire drives are bootable ... with PowerPC Macs.)

Which drives have that Chipset?  I need to get appropriate external
drive (price-sensitive decision --  would love suggestions).

FWIW, I still have originial 10- gig dirve in my  Ti/Mercury. I will
soon replace it with a larger drive, placing the original in a a
small, external enclosure (probably MacAlly  PHR 250 CC  - unless
someone has a bettrer suggestion).
http://macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=100

Meanwhile, I'm doing backups on Pen Drives (until I can do "proper"
backups), but those are not bootable, of course.

Would also like something small/bootbable (CD OK) that can hold basic
system and diagnosistics - to have for when needed. Suggestions as to
what to use and what to put on it?
Thanks.

J.